20 Stylish and Beautiful Examples of App Icon Design
- David Edwards
- November 26, 2013
When creating devices like the iPhone and the iPad, Apple raised the bar in terms of hardware design, and – as consumers – increased our expectations. The software they produced, too, had a strong focus on aesthetics, as a badly designed app would stand in a stark contrast compared to the refined and sleek hardware. Other companies quickly followed suit and tasteful, thoughtful and stylish design soon became a requirement for a successful app.
But well designed software also needs something well designed to represent it. A beautiful app can benefit immensely from having a beautifully designed icon that can show it off on the home screen of a phone. Much like how a logo represents a brand, the icon is more important than it looks at first as it comes to represent the app in its entirety, from the marketing materials that promote it, to the logo shown in the app store to being displayed on the device itself. If you’re creating an app for yourself or for a client, don’t forget to pay extra attention to the icon too – it’s more important than it appears at first glance.
I wanted to bring together a collection of some of my favourite app icon designs. Each of these designs are stunning, stylish and look perfectly at home on the shiniest iDevice out there. If you know of any others that you’d like to add to this list, please do share in the comments!
2. 360 Cities
4. Leica Raw Edition
7. Slot Machine
8. Direct Message for Weibo
9. Flower App Icon
10. Rocket Icon
Which of these app icons do you like best? Are there any that you’ve discovered that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear what you’ve got to say in the comments!
Featured Image Credit: Fab
- The Complete Guide to Online Millennial Marketing
- How Your Local Business Can Benefit From the Pokemon Go Craze
- Infographic: 5 Ways Your Website is Losing You Customers (and 5 Easy Fixes)
- Video: 5 Questions Your Web Designer Should Be Asking You (and why it matters)
- 4 Ways to Get Website Traffic Through Facebook
- Video: Where is Your Website’s Content Coming From?
- Video: 1 Single Tip to Writing Web Copy That Sells
- Video: How to Use Your Website to Build Your Email List (and why you should)
- Video: How to Build Instant Trust on Your Website
- 10 Lessons from Relationships to Help You Make a Stunning One-Page Website